HC Deb 20 March 1998 vol 308 c1597
That, in the opinion of this House, the following provision should be made for the payment of a bicycle allowance to honourable Members in respect of journeys which they have undertaken by bicycle while on Parliamentary duties within the United Kingdom—
- (1) In respect of journeys commenced in the year starting with 1st April 1998, the allowance shall be paid at a rate of 6.2 pence per mile increased by the percentage (if any) by which the retail prices index for March 1998 has increased compared with the index for March 1997.
- (2) For each subsequent year starting with 1st April, the rate shall be increased by the percentage (if any) by which the retail prices index for the previous March has increased compared with the index for the March before that.
- (3) The rate shall be calculated to the nearest tenth of a penny (with exactly one twentieth being rounded up).
- (4) Arrangements shall be made by the Fees Office for ensuring that claims are supported by appropriate particulars.
- (5) In this Resolution 'the retail price index' means the general index of retail prices (for all items) published by the Office for National Statistics (or any index or figures published by that Office in place of that index).—[Mr. Dowd.]