§ (1) Where—
- (a) at any time before 4th December 1996, any person ("the taxpayer") became liable to pay any sum ("the relevant sum") to the Commissioners by way of VAT, penalty, interest or surcharge,
- (b) at any time on or after 18th July 1996 and before 4th December 1996 an amount was set against the whole or any part of the relevant sum,
- (c) the amount set against that sum was an amount which is treated under the Resolution of the House (value added tax (time limits for repayment liabilities)) of 3rd December 1996 as not having been due from the Commissioners at the time when it was set against that sum, and
- (d) as a consequence, the taxpayer's liability to pay the whole or a part of the relevant sum falls to be treated as not having been discharged in accordance with section 81(3) of the 1994 Act,
§ (2) In paragraph (I) above the reference to the continuing liability of the taxpayer is a reference to so much of the liability to pay the relevant sum as—
- (a) would have been discharged if the amount mentioned in paragraph (1)(b) above had been required to be set against the relevant sum in accordance with section 81(3) of the 1994 Act, but
- (b) falls, by virtue of the Resolution of the House (value added tax (time limits for repayment liabilities)) of 3rd December 1996, to be treated as not having been discharged in accordance with section 81(3) of that Act.
§ (3) The taxpayer's only liabilities under the 1994 Act in respect of his failure, on or after the time mentioned in paragraph (1)(b) above, to pay an amount assessable under this Resolution shall be—
- (a) his liability to be assessed for that amount under this Resolution; and
- (b) liabilities arising under the following provisions of this Resolution.
§ (4) Subsections (2) to (8) of section 78A of the 1994 Act apply in the case of an assessment under paragraph (1) above as they apply in the case of an assessment under section 78A(l) of that Act.
§ (5) The 1994 Act shall have effect as if the matters specified in section 83 of that Act (matters subject to appeal) included an assessment under this Resolution and the amount of such an assessment.
§ (6) Nothing contained in—
- (a) any regulations under section 25(1) of, or paragraph 2 of Schedule 11 to, the 1994 Act relating to the correction of errors or the making of adjustments, or
- (b) any requirement imposed under any such regulations,
§ (8) This Resolution shall come into force on 4th December 1996.
And it is hereby declared that it is expedient in the public interest that this Resolution should have statutory effect under the provisions of the Provisional Collection of Taxes Act 1968.