- (a) in section 1(1) (rape), for "rape a woman" there is substituted "commit rape'; and
- (b) in section 12 (buggery), after subsection (1) there is inserted—
(1A) This section does not apply where a man has anal intercourse with a woman or with another man who (in either case) at the time of the act does not consent to it.".
- (a) in subsection (1)(a), after "consent to it" there is inserted "or has anal intercourse with a woman or with another man who (in either case) at the time of the act does not consent to it";
- (b) in subsection (1)(b), after "she", in both places, there is inserted "or he";
- (c) in subsection (2), for "a woman was consenting to sexual intercourse" there is substituted "a woman or a man was consenting to the act in question"; and
- (d) after subsection (2) there is inserted—
(2A) In the following provisions of this Act, references to a woman include references to a man.
§ (3) This section, and the associated repeals in Schedule 11, shall come into force on the date this Act is passed.'.— [Mrs. Roche.]
§ Brought up, and read the First time.
§ Mr. Deputy Speaker
With this we may discuss the following: Amendment (a), before subsection (3), insert'(2A) In subsection (3) of section 2 of the 1976 Act (restrictions on evidence at trials for rape, etc.) after the word "woman" there shall be inserted the words "or a man".(2B) In subsection (1) of section 4 of the 1976 Act (anonymity of complainants in rape etc. cases) after the word "woman" there shall be inserted the words "or a man".'.New clause 78—Marital rape—'.—(1) For section 1 of the Sexual Offences Act 1956 (Rape) there shall be substituted the following section—