§ Amendments made: No. 27, in page 30, line 32, leave out first 'section' and insert 'sections'.
No. 28, in page 30, line 37, leave out 'this Part' and insert
'securing the efficient use of water resources, or the efficient supply of water,'.
§ No. 31, in page 31, line 20, leave out from 'section' to 'unless' in line 21.
No. 54, in page 31, line 24, leave out from 'desirability' to end of line 29 and insert
No. 52, in page 31, line 29, after 'capital.', insert—
'Variation and termination of bulk supply agreements.
§ 40A.—(1) This section applies where, on the application of any party to a bulk supply agreement—
- (a) it appears to the Director that it is necessary or expedient for the purpose of securing the efficient use of water resources, or the efficient supply of water, to vary the agreement or to terminate it, and
- (b) the Director is satisfied that that cannot be achieved by agreement between the parties to the agreement.
§ (2) The Director may by order—
- (a) vary the agreement by—
- (i) varying the period for which the supply of water is to he given; or
- (ii) varying any of the terms or conditions on which that supply is to be given; or
- (b) terminate the agreement.
§ (3) Before making any order under this section the Director shall consult the NRA.
§ (4) Where an order is made under this section the agreement concerned shall have effect subject to the provision made by the order or (as the case may be) shall cease to have effect.
§ (5) An order under this section may require the payment of compensation by any party to the agreement to any other party.
§ (6) The obligations of a water undertaker under subsection (5) above shall be enforceable under section 18 above by the Director.
§ (7) In exercising his functions under this section, the Director shall have regard to the expenses incurred by the supplier in complying with its obligations under the bulk supply agreement and to the desirability of—
- (a) facilitating effective competition within the water supply industry;
- (b) the supplier's recovering the expenses of complying with its obligations by virtue of this section and securing a reasonable return on its capital;
- (c) the supplier's being able to meet its existing obligations, and likely future obligations, to supply water without having to incur unreasonable expenditure in carrying out works;
- (d) not putting at risk the ability of the supplier to meet its existing obligations, or likely future obligations, to supply water.
(8) In this section—
bulk supply agreement" means an agreement between one or more water undertakers for the supply of water in bulk and includes—
supplier", in relation to a bulk supply agreement, means any water undertaker which is required by the agreement to provide a bulk supply of water.'.—[Mr. Redwood.]