HC Deb 08 July 1991 vol 194 c642
32. Mr. John Marshall

To ask the Attorney-General what is the current jurisdiction of the small claims court.

The Solicitor-General

From 1 July 1991, defended money claims for an amount not exceeding £1,000 are referred to arbitration in a county court under the small claims procedure. Claims above £1,000 may be referred to arbitration if one of the parties so requests and the district judge agrees.

Mr. Marshall

Can cases for personal injury be referred to the small claims court in the same way as cases for minor debt?

The Solicitor-General

Yes, Sir. Personal injury cases can be dealt with in the small claims court either if the plaintiff recognises that the damages will be genuinely small and limits the claim to £1,000 or if an application to do so is made to the district judge and he agrees.