§ 10 pm
§ Mr. Michael Brown (Brigg and Cleethorpes)
I wish to present a petition on behalf of 7,000 people from the county of Humberside.
The petition was organised by Mrs. Jane Day of 8, John Harrison close, Barrow on Humber. Mrs. Day is a constituent of mine. She obtained the 7,000 signatures over the course of the last few months from shopping precincts in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Winterton, Brigg and Barton. The petition was inspired as a result of a tragic case in my constituency some time ago in which a six-month-old baby girl was raped and left blind and mentally handicapped, and by an Old Bailey case of parents who starved to death a 10-month-old baby boy.
§ The petition reads as follows:
- The humble petition of the people of the county of Humberside sheweth that
- Sentences for child abuse, in all forms sexual, physical and mental, are too lenient. The Petitioners look to the Government to protect all children, through legislation.
§ Wherefore your Petitioners pray that your Honourable House:—
- Ensure, through legislation, that laws are enacted to protect all children;
- Implement a clearly defined deterrent against child cruelty and abuse;
- Ensure, through legislation, that the deterrent serve its purpose;
- Ensure, through legislation, that funding meets the ever-increasing demands on those working to protect children and those detecting abuse and cruelty in children.
- And your Petitioners, as in duty bound, will ever pray etc.
§ To lie upon the Table.