`—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this section, a scheme may be replaced or varied by a subsequent scheme made under section 116 of this Act by the local education authority concerned.
(2) Section 116 shall apply for the purposes of a scheme replacing or varying a previous scheme with the omission of subsection (1); and subsection (1) of section 117 of this Act shall not apply in relation to such a scheme.
(3) A scheme prepared by a local education authority under section 116 which—
(4) A scheme under section 116 varying a previous scheme which is not required by subsection (3)(b) above to be submitted to the Secretary of State for his approval is referred to below in this section as a "minor variation scheme".
(5) Subsection (5) of section 117 shall not apply in relation to a minor variation scheme.
(6) The Secretary of State may order specify what descriptions of variation are to be regarded as significant for the purposes of subsection (3)(b) above.
(7) Where a local education authority propose to make a scheme under section 116 which in their opinion is a minor variation scheme, the authority shall notify the Secretary of State in writing of their proposal, giving brief particulars of the nature of the variations proposed to be made by the scheme.
(8) In any such case the authority shall, if so required by the Secretary of State, send to him a copy of their proposed scheme; and it shall be for the Secretary of State to determine whether or not any variation proposed to be made by the scheme falls within any description of variation specified in an order under subsection (6) above.
(9) A scheme made under section 116 may also be varied by a direction given by the Secretary of State, as from such date as may be specified in the direction.
(10) Before giving such a direction the Secretary of State shall consult the local education authority concerned and such other persons as he thinks fit.'. — [Mr. Kenneth Baker.]
§ Brought up, read the First and Second time, and added to the Bill.