`(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations provide for the payment to local education authorities of grants in respect of expenditure incurred or to be incurred by them in making provision the purpose (or main purpose) of which is to promote and facilitate the education of persons to whom this subsection applies.
(2) Subsection (1) above applies to a person if—
- (a) by reason of his way of life or, in the case of a child, his parent's way of life he either has no fixed abode or leaves his main abode to live elsewhere for significant periods in each year;
- (b) he fell within paragraph (a) above within a prescribed period immediately preceding the making of the provision in question.
- (c) he is for the time being resident in a camp or other accommodation or establishment provided for refugees or for displaced or similar persons.
(3) Regulations under subsection (1) above may—239
- (a) prescribe classes or descriptions of expenditure in respect of which grants are payable under the regulations;
- (b) provide for the determination of the amount of any grant so payable;
- (c) provide for the payment of any such grant to be dependent on the fulfilment of such conditions as may be determined by or in accordance with the regulations; and
- (d) provide for requiring local education authorities to whom payments have been made under the regulations to comply with such requirements as may be so determined.'—[Mr. Kenneth Baker.]
§ Brought up, read the First and Second time, and added to the Bill.