`—(1) The Secretary of State may by order direct that the provisions of sections 5 and 6(1)(b) of this Act shall have effect as if—
- (a) any reference to pupils of compulsory school age included a reference to persons in secondary education or full-time further education who are over that age but have not attained the age of nineteen;
- (b) any reference to a maintained school included a reference to an institution required to be covered by a scheme made under section 116 of this Act and, except in relation to a local education authority—
- (i) any institution within the PCFC funding sector; and
- (ii) any institution (other than a university) which provides further education and is a grant-aided institution; and
- (c) any reference to the head teacher of such a school included a reference to the principal or other head of such an institution.
(2) An order under this section may make such consequential modifications of section 7(4) of this Act as appear to the Secretary of State to be necessary or expedient.
(3) In relation to persons in relation to whom sections 5 and 6(1)(b) of this Act have effect by virtue of an order under this section, section 14 of this Act shall have effect—
- (a) with the modifications mentioned in paragraphs (b) and (c) of subsection (1) above of any relevant references in subsections (1) and (6);
- (b) as if the information referred to in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) were information with respect to the following matters—
- (i) the qualifications authenticated by outside persons (within the meaning of section 5 of this Act) for which courses of study are to be provided by or on behalf of the school or institution concerned for such persons as are mentioned above in this subsection;
- (ii) the courses of study leading to such qualifications which are to be so provided;
- (iii) the syllabuses which have been provided or determined for the purposes of those courses; and
- (iv) the results of the assessments of such persons for the purposes of those qualifications; and
- (c) with the omission of subsections (1)(b), (2) and (3).
(4) The reference in section 15(1)(b) of this Act to section 14 shall not include section 14 as it applies by virtue of subsection (3) above.
(5) Before making an order under this section, the Secretary of State shall consult with any persons with whom consultation appears to him to be desirable.'. — [Mr. Kenneth Baker.]
§ Brought up, read the First and Second time, anti added to the Bill.