§ The Minister for the Arts (Mr. Richard Luce)
I have visited six regional theatres since February, details of which I shall circulate in the Official Report.
§ Mr. Luce
My hon. Friend is fortunate in having in his constituency the Salisbury playhouse, which has a tremendous record of attendance. Two thirds of its income is earned through private sector resources. On the question of touring, it is my view that standards of excellence in the arts should be available to as many people as possible. To that end, extra money has been made available to the Arts 19 Council to facilitate touring by theatre, music and opera compaines. I hope that my hon. Friend's theatre and other regional theatres will benefit from that.
Following are the details:
- Regional theatres visited by the Minister for the Arts between 1 February—13 June 1988.
- Stables Theatre, Hastings, 19 February.
- Redgrave Theatre, Farnham, 27 February.
- New Towngate Theatre, Basildon, 13 April.
- The Theatre on the Green, Richmond, 10 May.
- Sherman Theatre, Cardiff, 17 May.
- New Theatre, Cardiff, 17 May.