HC Deb 25 March 1985 vol 76 cc148-9
Motion made, and Question,
That the following provisions shall have effect for the period beginning 26th March 1985 and ending 31 days after the earliest of the dates mentioned in section 50(2) of the Finance Act 1973—
(1) The following headings specified in Schedule 1 to the Stamp Act 1891 shall be omitted—
- (a) The heading beginning "Agreement or contract made or entered into pursuant to the Highways Acts".
- (b) The headings beginning "Appointment of a new trustee, and appointment in execution of a power of any property".
- (c) The heading beginning "Charter of resignation".
- (d) The heading beginning "Covenant. Any separate deed of covenant".
- (e) The heading "Deed of any kind whatsoever, not described in this schedule".
- (f) The heading beginning "Letter of allotment and letter of renunciation" and "Scrip certificate, scrip".
- (g) The heading beginning "Letter or power of attorney, and commission, factory, mandate".
- (h) The heading beginning "Precept of Clare constat".
- (i) The heading "Procuration, deed, or other instrument of'.
- (j) The heading beginning "Resignation", together with the heading "instrument of resignation of any lands or other heritable subjects in Scotland not of burgage tenure".
- (k) The heading "Revocation of any use or trust of any property by any writing, not being a will".
- (l) The heading beginning "Seisin" and the heading "Notarial instrument to be expeded and recorded in any register of sasines".
- (m) The heading "Warrant of attorney of any other kind".
- (n) The heading beginning "Writ".
(2) In section 7 of the Finance Act 1907 (stamping of hire-purchase agreements) for the words from "shall only be charged" to the end there shall be substituted "shall not be charged with any stamp duty".
(3) Paragraphs (1) and (2) above shall apply to—
- (a) instruments executed on or after 26th March 1985, and
- (b) instruments executed on or after 19th March 1985 which are not stamped before 26th March 1985.
(4) For the purposes of section 14(4) of the Stamp Act 1891 (instruments not to be given in evidence etc. unless stamped in accordance with the law in force at the time of first execution), the law in force at the time of execution of an instrument falling within paragraph (3)(b) above shall be deemed to be that as varied in accordance with this Resolution.
And it is hereby declared that it is expedient in the public interest that this Resolution should have statutory effect under the provisions of section 50 of the Finance Act 1973. — [Mr. Lawson.]
put forthwith pursuant to Standing Order No. 114 (Ways and Means motions), and agreed to.