§ Item No.
§ 1. The granting by a person substantially reconstructing a protected building, of a major interest in, or in any part of, the building or its site.
§ 2. The supply in the course of an approved alteration of a protected building, of any services other than the services of an architect, surveyor or any person acting as consultant or in a supervisory capacity.
(1) 'Protected building' means a building which is—
(2) For the purposes of item 1, a protected building shall not be regarded as substantially reconstructed unless the reconstruction is such that at least one of the following conditions is fulfilled when the reconstruction is completed—
(3) 'Approved alteration' means,—
(4) For the purposes of paragraph (a) of Note (3), a building used or available for use by a minister of religion wholly or mainly as a residence from which to perform the duties of his office shall be treated as not being an ecclesiastical building.
(5) Where the benefit of the consideration for the grant of a major interest as described in item I accrues to the person substantially reconstructing the protected building but that person is not the grantor, he shall be treated for the purposes of that item as the person making the grant.
(6) In item 2 'alteration' does not include repair or maintenance; and where any work consists partly of an approved alteration and partly of other work, an apportionment shall be made to determine the supply which falls within item 2.
(7) Note (2) to Group 8 above applies in relation to item 2 of this Group as it applies in relation to item 2 of that Group.".'.
Amendments to the proposed amendment: (a), in line 19, at end insert—
'(c) any building situated in a conservation area or any school or any village, community or church hall or any church which is not a listed building.'.
'(c), in line 23, leave out from beginning to end of line 28 and insert—
'(a) that the cost of the works of reconstruction, excluding the cost of any associated works of repair and maintenance and any excluded services exceeds half of what it would have cost (apart from the cost of any
excluded services) at the time of reconstruction to construct the entire building in its reconstructed form; or'.
§ (d), in line 23, leave out 'three-quarters' and insert 'one half'.
§ (e), in line 29, leave out from beginning to 'excluded' in line 33.
(f), in line 43, leave out from 'alteration' to the end of line 45 and insert
'for which, except in the case of a Crown interest or a Duchy interest, consent has been obtained under any provision of,—'.
§ (g), in line 50, leave out from beginning to end of line 51.
Amendment No. 7, in schedule 6, page 141, line 10, at end insert—
'7. After Note 3 there shall be inserted the following Note:
(4) Item 2(b) above applies in any case where the works of alteration:
§ Amendment No. 8, in schedule 6, page 141, line 10, at end insert—