Amendment made: No. 16, in page 16, line 14, leave out subsection (3) and insert—
'(3) For paragraph 14 of Schedule 1 to the principal Act there shall be substituted—
14.—(1) The Dental Auxiliaries Committee shall consist of—
(2) At least two of the members referred to in subparagraph (1)(b) of this paragraph shall not be registered dentists.
(3) Three of the nine members referred to in subparagraph (1)(c) of this paragraph shall be appointed by the Secretaries of State respectively concerned with health in England and Wales and Scotland and the head of the Department of Health and Social Services for Northern Ireland acting jointly, and two of the three so appointed shall be registered dentists who are or have been employed in the course of the provision of national health services.
(4) The three members so appointed and their successors shall retire together at the end of successive three year periods, and an appointment made in the course of one of those periods to fill a casual vacancy shall be for the remainder of that period.
(5) The other six of the members referred to in subparagraph (1)(c) of this paragraph shall be elected by members of all the classes of dental auxiliaries established by regulations under this Act in such manner and at such intervals as may be provided by rules made by the Council.
(6) The Council shall pay to members of the Committee who are not members of the Council allowances and fees at the same rates as in the case of those who are members of the Council.
(7) The chairman of the Committee shall be chosen by the Committee from among the members of the Committee who are registered dentists.
(8) The Committee may appoint a sub-committee, which shall consist of not more than nine members, to deal with disciplinary questions connected with members of a class of dental auxiliaries.
(9) The member of the Council referred to in paragraph 2(2)(d) of Part I of this Schedule shall be elected by the Committee from among its members who have been elected under sub-paragraph (5) of this paragraph; and a person so elected shall cease to be a member of the Council if he ceases to be a member of the Committee or when the term of office of elected members of the Council next expires in accordance with paragraph 3(1) of the said Part I, whichever first occurs." ' .—[Mr. Geoffrey Finsberg.]