§ (1) If any person—
- (a) wilfully, fraudulently or by culpable negligence—
- (i) injures or suffers to be injured any electric lines, meter or fittings belonging to the Board;
- (ii) alters the index to any meter; or
- (iii) prevents any meter from duly registering the quantity of electricity supplied; or
- (b) wilfully—
- (i) injures or detaches or suffers to be injured or detached any of the sealing or locking devices attached to any sealed or locked receptacle, meter or apparatus affixed by the Board to any electric line within a consumer's premises; or
- (ii) opens or suffers to be opened any such sealed or locked receptable, meter or apparatus; he shall (without prejudice to any other right or remedy for the protection of the Board or the punishment of the offender) be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
§ (2) The prosecution of any such offence shall not prevent the Board from recovering the amount of any damage caused to them by the offence, and, if the offence involves wilful or fraudulent injury to or interference with any electric lines, meter or fittings belonging to the Board, the Board may also, until the matter has been remedied, but no longer, discontinue the supply of electricity to the person so offending (notwithstanding any contract previously existing).
§ (3) The existence of artificial means for causing an alteration of the index to any meter or preventing any meter from duly registering the quantity of electricity supplied, when the meter is under the custody or control of the consumer, shall be prima facie evidence that the alteration or prevention, as the case may be, has been fraudulently and wilfully caused by the consumer using the meter.
§ (4) If any person—
- (a) accidentally injures or detaches any seal or locking device referred to in paragraph (b) of subsection (1) of this section; or
- (b) accidentally opens any sealed or locked receptacle, meter or apparatus referred to in that paragraph; he shall within 48 hours of doing so notify the Board in writing.
§ (5) Any person who fails to comply with subsection (4) of this section shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.".
§ 5B. In section 55 of that Order (penalty for interference with works) for the words "five pounds" substitute words "level 3 on the standard scale".