HC Deb 16 March 1981 vol 1 c155
Motion made, and Question,
That the following provisions shall have effect for the period beginning 23rd March 1981 and ending thirty-one days after the earliest of the dates mentioned in section 50(2) of the Finance Act 1973—
(1) Where a conveyance or transfer to which this paragraph applies is subject contingently to the payment of any money (whether by virtue of that conveyance or transfer or otherwise), then notwithstanding section 57 of the Stamp Act 1891, that money shall not be deemed to be part of the consideration in respect of which the conveyance or transfer is chargeable with ad valorem duty.
(2) For the purposes of section 74(5) of the Finance (1909–10) Act 1910 the consideration for any conveyance or transfer to which this paragraph applies shall be deemed to be valuable consideration.
(3) Paragraphs (1) and (2) above apply to any conveyance or transfer on sale of a dwelling-house (including the grant of a lease) at a discount by—
- (a) any Minister of the Crown or Northern Ireland department;
- (b) a local authority within the meaning of Part V of the Housing Act 1957, a county council, a district council within the meaning of the Local Government Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 or in Scotland a regional, district or islands council, the common good of such a council or any trust under its control;
- (c) the Housing Corporation;
- (d) the Scottish Special Housing Association;
- (e) the Northern Ireland Housing Executive;
- (f) a housing association registered under section 13 of the Housing Act 1974 or Article 124 of the Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1981;
- (g) a development corporation established by an order made or having effect as if made under the New Towns Act 1965 or the New Towns (Scotland) Act 1968 or an urban development corporation established by an order made under section 135 of the Local Government Planning and Land Act 1980;
- (h) the Commission for the New Towns or a new town commission established under section 7 of the New Towns Act (Northern Ireland) 1965;
- (i) the Development Board for Rural Wales;
- (j) the Council of the Isles of Scilly;
- (k) a police authority within the meaning of section 62(b) of the Police Act 1964 or section 2(1) or 19(9)(b) of the Police (Scotland) Act 1967, or the Police Authority for Northern Ireland;
- (l) an Education and Libraries Board established under the Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1972;
- (m) any person mentioned in paragraph (e), (i), (j) or (1) of section 1(10) of the Tenants' Rights, Etc. (Scotland) Act 1980.
(4) The foregoing provisions shall apply to instruments executed on or after 23rd March 1981.
And it is hereby declared that it is expedient in the public interest that this Resolution should have statutory effect under the provisions of section 50 of the Finance Act 1973.—[Sir Geoffrey Howe.]
put forthwith pursuant to Standing Order No. 94 (Ways and Means motions), and agreed to.