- (a) in section 100(3) for "ten pounds" substitute "fifty pounds" ;
- (b) in section 102(3) for "ten pounds "substitute" fifty pounds" ;
- (c) in section 103(4) for paragraphs (a) and (b) substitute "to a fine not exceeding £200" ;
- (d) in section 110(1)(b) leave out the words from the second "or" to the end of the paragraph ;
- (e) in section 111(5) for paragraphs (a) and (b) substitute "to a fine not exceeding five hundred pounds" ;
- (f) in section 112(5) for "twenty pounds" substitute "fifty pounds" ;
- (g) in section 185(2)—
- (i) after "shall" insert "be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £200" ; and
- (ii) for "twenty pounds" substitute "five hundred pounds".
§ (2) Schedule 7C to the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1975 shall be amended by deleting from the first column of the entry relating to the Housing (Scotland) Act 1966 the words from "where" to the end of the column.'.—[Mr. Rifkind.]
§ Brought up, and read the First time.332
§ Mr. Rifkind I beg to move, That the clause be read a Second time.
§ Mr. Rifkind
This clause provides for updating the penalties provided for in the Housing (Scotland) Act 1966 relating to houses in multiple occupation. The revised penalty structure increases monetary penalties and also favours fewer different levels of fine.
The new structure removes imprisonment for certain offences, in line with the general view that imprisonment is appropriate only for the most serious offences in this area. The amendment taken with this is consequential on this new clause.
§ Question put and agreed to.
§ Clause read a Second time, and added to the Bill.4.45 pm