HC Deb 09 November 1977 vol 938 cc649-50
2. Mr. Terry Walker

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what action he will take to help British subjects who may be considering purchasing, or have purchased, property on the La Ribina estate near Vera in Spain.

The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Mr. Frank Judd)

British subjects seeking my right hon. Friend's Department's advice about the purchase of properties in Spain are advised to consult a Spanish lawyer. Lists of lawyers are provided on request. Our overseas representatives cannot advise upon or intervene in such transactions.

Mr. Walker

Does; my hon. Friend agree that many British subjects who have retired and decided to have a retirement home in Spain, like my constituents Mr. and Mrs. Hill, have got into great diffi- culty when they have gone to the La Ribina estate and found that there are no homes there, and that there never will be any homes allowed there? I have a pile of correspendence from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office about this. Will the consulate give greater help to constituents like that who find themselves in great difficulty there?

Mr. Judd

I assure my hon. Friend that the Government are very concerned about the plight of his constituents and others who have had the same sort of experience, but I am sure that, on reflection, he will recognise that it is not possible for the Government to become involved in disputes between parties to a private contract. However, everything else that we can do to help, we shall do.

Back to
Forward to