Motion made, and Question,
(1) In section 37(1) of the Income and Corporation Taxes Act (aggregation of wife's income with husband's) for the words "so far as it is income for a year of assessment or part of a year of assessment during which she is a married woman living with her husband" there shall be substituted the words "so far as it is income for—
(2) In section 38(1) of that Act (option for separate assessment) after the words "any year of assessment" there shall be inserted the words "for which his income would include any of hers" and the proviso shall be omitted.
(3) In section 14 of that Act—
(4) In section 19(7) of that Act (life insurance premium paid by wife to count as if paid by husband) after the word "Where" there shall be inserted the words "in any year of assessment for which her husband's income includes or, if there were any, would include any of hers".
(5) After section 21(1) of that Act (life insurance premium relief not to exceed one-sixth of a person's total income) there shall be inserted—
(1A) In relation to a year of assessment in which a woman is married and living with her husband but for which his income does not or, if there were any, would not include any of hers, subsection (1) above shall apply to each of them as if the maximum there specified were increased by an amount equal to the difference between—
(7) Paragraph (6) above applies—
(8) For the purposes of section 168 of the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1970 and section 71 of the Capital Allowances Act 1968 (set-off of losses and capital allowances against general income) section 37(1)(b) of the said Act of 1970 shall have effect as if the words "being a part beginning with 6th April" were omitted.
And it is hereby declared that it is expedient in the public interest that this Resolution should have statutory effect under the provisions of the Provisional Collection of Taxes Act 1968—[Mr. Healey.]
§ put forthwith pursuant to Standing Order No. 94 (Ways and Means Motions), and agreed to.