§ 22. Mr. Costain
asked the Minister of Public Building and Works whether he will name the members of the Forbes Committee on the registration of builders; and how many times the Committee has met to the latest convenient date.
§ Mr. Mellish
The members of the Forbes Inquiry are:—
The two assessors are:—
- Mr. H. H. V. Forbes, Q.C. (Chairman)
- Mr. L. F. Wigdor, Managing Director of Tunnel Refineries Ltd.
- Mr. E. Haynes, President of the Bakers' Union.
- Mr. P. D. H. Stock, Chief Estate Officer, I.C.I. Ltd.
- Sir Sidney Ford, M.B.E., President of the National Union of Mine Workers.
The Inquiry will hold its first meeting later this month.
- Mr. Eric Segrove (N.F.B.T.E.).
- Mr. A. E. Soones (N.F.B.T.O.).
§ Mr. Costain
The Chairman was appointed in September and only today the Minister announces that the first meeting of the Committee is to take place. Would he hurry the Committee to get on with its job?
§ Mr. Mellish
That is ungrateful. This is something which has been talked about in the industry for years. At least I have set up a Committee to look into the possibilities. We have appointed the Chairman. Various parts of industry have had to be consulted. We have an impartial Committee and we have the two assessors. I should have thought that the hon. Gentleman might have said, "Well done, bravo."