HC Deb 12 November 1968 vol 773 cc187-8
30. Mr. St. John-Stevas

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government whether he will introduce legislation to give landlords of rent-restricted property a right of appeal to a tribunal over controlled rents.

Mr. MacColl

My right hon. Friend has no proposals in respect of controlled tenancies other than those set out in the White Paper, Old Houses into New Homes.

Mr. St. John-Stevas

Is it not disgraceful that these landlords should continue to suffer gross injustice? Is it not the duty of the Minister to provide machinery by which these rents can be reviewed and alternative accommodation with rent rebates provided for old people?

Mr. MacColl

This matter can best be looked at when the legislation is available.

Mr. Molloy

I acknowledge the massive contribution that the Rent Act has made in respect of the peace of mind of millions of people, but is not my hon. Friend prepared to consider that aspect of the legislation which allows landlords—because they can afford it—to engage legal representation before the Tribunal which, because of their financial limitations, tenants are unable to do?

Mr. MacColl

The surveyors' body is running a pilot scheme to see how this can be done. Not many people are using the service, but to some extent it is successful.