§ Amendments made: No. 10 in page 2, line 15, leave out 'The Council' and insert The registrar appointed by the Council in accordance with the provisions of the Schedule to this Act'.
§ No. 11, in line 18, leave out from 'registrar' to 'shall' in line 19.
No. 12, in line 24, leave out subsection (3) and insert:
(3) The register shall be kept at the offices of the Council and shall be made available for public inspection at all reasonable times without charge;
No. 13, in line 30, leave out 'registered' and insert
'on first being registered and thereafter annually'.—[Mr. Pavitt.]
§ Mr. Pavitt
I beg to move Amendment No. 14, in page 2, line 30, at end add:(5) For the purposes of this section, the following persons should be qualified for registration as dispensers of hearing aids, namely, any individual, other than a disqualified person, who—
- (a) has been engaged in selling hearing aids to members of the public for not less than six months of the period of two years immediately preceding the commencement of this Act; or
- (b) satisfies the standards of competence for the time being published by the Council pursuant to section 1 of this Act.(6) For the purposes of this section a person shall be qualified for registration as a supplier of hearing aids if he carries on or proposes to carry on business as a supplier of hearing aids unless—788
- (a) he is a disqualified person or carrying on business in partnership with a disqualified person;
- (b) being a company registered under the Companies Act 1948 it has among its directors one or more disqualified persons.(7) Where an application for registration under this section is refused the applicant may appeal to the Disciplinary Committee established under section 6 of this Act and that the Committee shall have power to direct that the applicant be registered and may, in the case of an application by a company for registration as a supplier of hearing aids, direct that subsection (6)(b) of this section shall not apply.(8) In this section disqualified person' means a person whose name has been directed under section 7 of this Act to be removed from either of the registers maintained under this section and in respect of which no directions for restoration have been given under section 8.This seems a long Amendment, but it is really an alteration which puts the Bill into a better shape.
§ Amendment agreed to.
§ Clause, as amended, ordered to stand part of the Bill.