HC Deb 27 November 1967 vol 755 cc31-2
47. Mr. Dodds-Parker

asked the Minister of Social Security whether she will take steps to exempt from National Insurance contributions an individual, although under the age of 65, who has retired on an occupational pension and does not wish to remain in the employment field or draw unemployment benefits and supplements.

Mr. Pentland

My right hon. Friend has no such steps in mind; contributions paid as a non-employed man count towards full retirement pension and widowhood cover.

Mr. Dodds-Parker

Will not the hon. Gentleman have another look at this at least for individuals who are over, say, the age of 60? A number of people retire on pension and either have to receive payments as unemployed, which they do not really want, or risk having to move to another part of the country from the area in which they may have spent their lives.

Mr. Pentland

If any of these people has an income which does not exceed £312 per annum plus the cost of the stamp, he can apply to be excepted from paying contributions as a non-employed person, but I must point out that such exception will result in a gap in his contribution record which could lead to title to retirement pension or widows pension being at a reduced rate.

Forward to