HC Deb 03 November 1966 vol 735 cc638-9
19. Mr. Winnick

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what action is being taken to help those students who are faced with increased lodging charges.

The Minister of State, Department of Education and Science (Mr. Goronwy Roberts)

Universities and colleges have been asked not to increase their charges for halls of residence during the period of standstill.

Mr. Winnick

Is my hon. Friend aware that there is a great deal of concern among students about increased lodging charges, some of them representing charges for residence and accommodation outside the university and colleges? Would my right hon. Friend be willing to receive a deputation on this issue from the National Union of Students?

Mr. Roberts

Charges for board and lodging provided other than by education authorities are also subject to the prices standstill, and paragraphs 4 and 5 of the White Paper cover the point. I am sure that my right hon. Friend and I would be most willing to receive a deputation on this matter from the National Union of Students.

Mr. Patrick Jenkin

As the Department of Education and Science has indicated to university institutions that they should charge any deficits arising on residence accounts to their college accounts and at the same time has indicated that they are not to expect any additional help from Government sources to meet these deficits, how do the Government expect university institutions to deal with the problem which now arises?

Mr. Roberts

As education charities, university colleges will receive reimbursement of certain imposts like the Selective Employment Tax. Meeting deficiencies is an entirely different matter, but if the hon. Gentleman will put down a specific Question on that matter, I shall be glad to answer it.