§ Motion made, and Question proposed
That a Select Committee be appointed to consider the Procedure in the Public Business of the House; and to report what alterations, if any, are desirable for the more efficient despatch of such Business:
That the Committee do consist of eighteen Members.
§ Mr. Michael English (Nottingham West):
Object. Mr. Speaker, I intend to move the Amendment to this Motion which stands in my name on the Order Paper, at the end to add:
- (a) Each Member of the House may nominate up to eighteen other Members of the House by notice in writing to the Clerk of the House within one week after the date of this resolution.
- (b) The nominations received shall be published with the names of the nominators in the Votes and Proceedings of the House, the names in each nomination being listed in alphabetical order, and each nomination differing from any other nomination being numbered in order of receipt.
- (c) Within one week of the publication of the nominations, each Member of the House may by notice in writing to the Clerk of the House cast one vote for one nomination and one vote for one person on such nomination.
- (d) The Clerk of the House shall place the names upon each nomination in order according to the votes cast for such persons.
- (e) The Clerk of the House shall then declare elected persons from each nomination in the order in which they have been placed by vote, the number of persons elected from each nomination being determined according to the d'Hondt or highest average system of proportional representation according to the number of votes cast for that nomination.
- (f) In the event of a nomination containing fewer names than would otherwise have been elected from it, the Members elected from that nomination shall have power to report to the Committee such number of persons as may be necessary to fill the resulting vacancies upon it.
§ Mr. Speaker
The hon. Member is in order in formally moving that Amendment. He cannot speak to his Amendment without causing the Motion to be deferred. I am reminded that he did say "Object"—I did not hear him. The Motion to be considered on what day? Monday next.