HC Deb 08 March 1966 vol 725 c1886
6. Mr. Hamling

asked the Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations whether he will seek powers to control the operations of private bodies sponsoring the emigration of young persons from the United Kingdom under a contract of service.

Mr. Cledwyn Hughes

No, Sir. The only private bodies with special schemes for the settlement of young persons in Commonwealth countries are four child migration societies, with which the Government have migration agreements and the Big Brother Movement. None of these bodies require emigrants to sign any contract of service.

Mr. Hamling

While thanking my hon. Friend for his reply and the courteous way in which he has attended to the case I mentioned, may I ask him to tell the House what arrangements are made to supervise and look after young people who emigrate to Australia under the auspices of the Big Brother Movement?

Mr. Hughes

The movement strongly impresses upon all young emigrants the need to maintain contact with it, particularly before changing jobs or accommodation, so that the movement can advise. In the farming areas, which are rather remote, there are voluntary representatives of the movement, usually leading members of the local community, to advise and assist.