HC Deb 30 March 1965 vol 709 c1374
13. Mr. Dempsey

asked the Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations what facilities are provided by the United Kingdom Government in Australia and New Zealand for advice and assistance to British migrants.

Mr. Cledwyn Hughes

The principle is well established that the receiving country which has recruited the migrants is responsible for arrangements for settling them on their arrival. I am satisfied that the Australian and New Zealand Governments do everything possible to assist migrants from Britain to settle happily. The British High Commissioners in Australia and New Zealand are of course available to give advice and help to United Kingdom citizens who have migrated to those countries and decide not to settle there permanently.

Mr. Dempsey

What co-operation exists between the officials of these Commonwealth countries and the organisations by which emigrants are transported? Is my hon. Friend aware that an Airdrie lady waited the best part of a year and was then told that she would still have to wait before transport could be found to send her to this part of the Commonwealth? Can he say what consultations he could have with these officials to expedite the transport of individuals emigrating to Commonwealth countries?

Mr. Hughes

I sympathise with my hon. Friend's constituent, but I am sure my hon. Friend will be aware that Her Majesty's Government have no responsibility in this matter. It is for the Governments of the receiving countries to decide the rate at which they can admit immigrants under any Government-operated schemes.

Forward to