HC Deb 23 March 1965 vol 709 cc293-4
1. Mr. Shepherd

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government to what extent his Department"s suggestions to local authorities building accommodation for elderly people include the provision of a common room; and whether he will give consideration to this.

The Joint Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government (Mr. Robert Mellish)

Local authorities have been advised by circular that in grouped housing schemes for the elderly, particularly in blocks of flatlets, it is useful to have a common room. This advice seems right.

Mr. Shepherd

Is the hon. Gentleman aware that this advice does not seem to be followed very extensively? Is he aware that even where there are groups of small houses it is desirable to have common rooms since old people living on their own, for example, widows, can be lonely even in a grouped housing scheme?

Mr. Mellish,

I entirely agree with the hon. Member, and according to information given to us the vast majority of local authorities provide a common room when they build these flatlets.