HC Deb 28 April 1965 vol 711 c550

[Queen's Recommendation signified.]

Considered in Committee under Standing Order No. 88 (Money Committees).

[Sir SAMUEL STOREY in the Chair]

Motion made, and Question proposed, That, for the purposes of any Act of the present Session to provide for the registration of common land and of town or village greens, it is expedient to authorise—

  1. (a) the payment out of moneys provided by Parliament of any expenses incurred by the Minister of Land and Natural Resources in paying to the Commons Commissioners and assessors appointed under that Act fees and travelling and other allowances and in providing those Commissioners with services and facilities for the discharge of their functions;
  2. ((b)) any increase attributable to that Act in the sums payable out of moneys provided by Parliament by way of Rate-deficiency Grant or Exchequer Equalisation Grant under the enactments relating to local government in England and Wales or in Scotland.—[Mr. Skeffington.]

8.43 p.m.

Mr. James Scott-Hopkins (Cornwall, North)

I should be glad if whoever replies on behalf of the Government would explain paragraph (b) of the Money Resolution. Why is it necessary to have the sums of money payable out of the rate-deficiency grant? Why has this clumsy method been chosen?

The Joint Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Land and Natural Resources (Mr. Arthur Skeffington)

This is the only way now in which a contribution can be made to authorities where they might benefit. There is no other way in which it can be done, and as this is the common form it has been incorporated in the Resolution.

Question put and agreed to.

Resolution to be reported

Report to be received Tomorrow.