HC Deb 10 July 1964 vol 698 cc809-10

Lords Amendment: In page 79, line 17, leave out from "and" to "for" in line 18 and insert: if any dispute arises under paragraph (b) of this subsection, the local authority or the person claiming the compensation may by means of a reference in writing submit the dispute".

Sir K. Joseph

I beg to move, That this House cloth agree with the Lords in the said Amendment.

I suggest that the following Amendment may be taken together with this one.

Mr. Deputy-Speaker

If that is agreeable to the House.

Sir K. Joseph

These two Amendments deal with only a very minor matter of machinery. In dealing with compensation for the dispossessed proprietor of a house taken over by a control order, there may sometimes be a question of a dispossessed proprietor who owns only half a dwelling, or only part of whose dwelling has been made the subject of a control order.

This can occur either because the dispossessed proprietor retains for his own occupation part of the multi-occupied dwelling, or because there are several dispossessed proprietors in the multi-occupied dwelling. The latter case might arise where a number of tenants of a dwelling have each sub-let their own part of that dwelling.

In such cases, it is necessary for the compensation to be divided equitably among the dispossessed proprietors concerned or, if there is one dispossessed proprietor, for him to have his due share in respect of the control order part of the dwelling. This was done under the Bill as drafted by the valuer working on a division of the gross rateable value of the property.

All these two Amendments do is to require that the question to the valuer shall be put in writing, so that all we are doing is making a minor administrative improvement in the machinery.

Question put and agreed to.

Subsequent Lords Amendments agreed to. [Several with Special Entries.]