HC Deb 20 February 1964 vol 689 cc1387-8
36. Sir J. Lucas

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what facilities are being given to enable police officers of British nationality, now being declared redundant by new African States, to continue their career in this country.

Mr. Brooke

Under an amendment recently made to the Police Regulations, former colonial police officers are enabled to count their overseas service to obtain enhanced starting pay on appointment as a constable in a home police force, subject to the service being certified by the Secretary for Technical Co-operation.

Sir J. Lucas

Would my right hon. Friend also give opportunity for officers to serve in the Prison Service? Sometimes it is difficult for an officer who has been in a certain rank to get any similar position or higher in the police force.

Mr. Brooke

If my hon. Friend would like to put down a Question about the Prison Service I shall be very glad to answer it.

Mr. Fletcher

In principle, would the right hon. Gentleman say that he will provide every possible facility for these people to have useful employment when they come back to this country?

Mr. Brooke

Yes. I have answered this question, but service in a colonial police force may be very different from the kind of experience required for service in a police force in this country, and I do not think that one can take it for granted that the one is a natural qualification for the other.