HC Deb 15 December 1964 vol 704 c185
3. Mr. Ridley

asked the Minister of Overseas Development what steps she has taken to get the Income Tax deducted in Ghana from the pensions of former civil servants refunded.

Mr. Oram

I have been assured that over-payments of Ghana Income Tax by Ghana pensioners resident in the United Kingdom will be refunded when the pensions are paid at the end of December.

Mr. Ridley

I am grateful to the hon. Gentleman for his reply, but may I ask him whether he is aware that some of this Income Tax goes back over three years and that I have constituents who have been waiting a very long time? Will the hon. Gentleman redouble his efforts to make the Ghana authorities pay back this money which is owing to British citizens?

Mr. Oram

I am not sure that any redoubling of effort is needed, since the matter looks like being cleared up in a week or so. Since the agreement was only reached in February and suspension of deductions of Income Tax was made immediately in the subsequent three months, that rectified the position to a large extent. The detailed calculations have had to be made since, and I do not think that the hon. Gentleman can rightly suggest that there has been any undue delay.