§ [Queen's Recommendation signified]
§ Considered in Committee under Standing Order No. 88 (Money Committees).
§ [Sir WILLIAM ANSTRUTHER-GRAY in the Chair]
§ Motion made, and Question proposed,
§ That, for the purposes of any Act of this Session to re-enact with modifications certain enactments relating to police forces in England and Wales, to amend the Police (Scotland) Act 1956, and to make further provision with respect to the police, it is expedient to authorise—
- A. the payment out of moneys provided by Parliament of—
- (a) salaries and allowances to assistant inspectors of constabulary and staff officers to inspectors of constabulary;
- (b) any expenses incurred by the Secretary of State in respect of the provision and maintenance of a police college, training centres and other organisations and services for promoting the efficiency of the police, and in respect of research into matters affecting the efficiency of the police;
- (c) any sums required by the Secretary of State for defraying expenses incurred by the Police Council for Great Britain;
- B. any increase in the sums payable out of moneys provided by Parliament under the Police Pensions Act 1948 which is attributable to any provision of the new Act with respect to inspectors and assistant inspectors of constabulary, staff officers to such inspectors and members of police forces in the temporary service of the Crown;
- C. any increase attributable to the new Act in the sums payable out of moneys provided by Parliament by way of police grant or, under the enactments relating to local government in England and Wales or in Scotland, by way of Rate-deficiency Grant or Exchequer Equalisation Grant.—
§ [Mr. Woodhouse.]
§ 9.59 p.m.
§ Mr. E. G. Willis (Edinburgh, East)
This Money Resolution, like the Bill, applies to Scotland. Unfortunately, during the Second Reading, owing to the awkward and cumbrous method by which the Scottish Office sought to include Scotland, it was not possible for Scottish Members to raise many points.
§ It being Ten o'clock, The Chairman left the Chair to report Progress and ask leave to sit again.
§ Committee report Progress.