HC Deb 09 May 1960 vol 623 cc12-3
33. Mr. Sorensen

asked the Minister of Health what representations he has had in respect of the offensiveness and danger to health caused by the emission of fumes and dust from industrial plant; and what further action he proposes to take to ensure the suppression of this.

The Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Honsing and Local Government (Sir Keith Joseph)

I have been asked to reply.

My right hon. Friend the Minister of Housing and Local Government does receive some representations about emissions from industrial processes. Means of control are provided by the Alkali &c. Works Regulation Act, 1906. by the Clean Air Act, 1956, and by Part III of the Public Health Act, 1936. Emissions can best be controlled by the effective use of these powers and my right hon. Friend has no further action in mind.

Mr. Sorensen

Arising out of that answer—I think I caught up to it—may I ask whether the hon. Gentleman is not aware that whatever measures there might be which could be employed in this instance are not being employed? In my own district, the Borough of Leyton, I have had several complaints not only from industrial plant but from other plant. Will the hon. Gentleman look into the matter to see whether he cannot initiate some regulations or some organisation to cope more effectively with this matter?

Sir K. Joseph

No complaints from the hon. Gentleman's area have been received by my right hon. Friend or by his Chief Alkali Inspector in the last few months. Perhaps the hon. Gentleman will send me details of any case that he has in mind.

Mr. Jeger

Where there are complaints by local residents, would the correct procedure be for those people to approach the local authority or to proceed direct to the Minister?

Sir K. Joseph

One has to distinguish between those that come under the Alkali Act, which come under my right hon. Friend, and those under the Clean Air Act, which go to the local authorities, but there can be no harm in applying either to the local authority or to my right hon. Friend for guidance.

Forward to