HC Deb 09 February 1960 vol 617 cc202-3
3. Mrs. Butler

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government and Minister for Welsh Affairs what consideration he has given to the publication of a supplement to his booklet, "The Rent Act and You", advising groups of tenants threatened with excessive rents or eviction how they may proceed to form themselves into co-operative housing associations, with loan assistance from their local authority under the Housing Acts or the Small Dwellings Acquisition Act.

Mr. H. Brooke

Advice on how to form a housing association is readily obtainable from the National Federation of Housing Societies, 12, Suffolk Street, London, S.W.1.

Mrs. Butler

Does not the Minister feel that he has a special responsibility to advise tenants who are threatened with property speculation and the takeover bids which have been one of the main consequences of the Rent Act, particularly as he has a glaring example so near to his own constituency in Hampstead Garden Suburb?

Mr. Brooke

I am simply concerned with the hon. Lady's Question. She is anxious to know how people can discover how to form themselves into co-operative housing associations. Those who wish to do that cannot do better than apply to the National Federation.