HC Deb 22 July 1959 vol 609 cc1265-6
50. Lady Gammans

asked the Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation if he will consider introducing further legislation to abate the nuisance caused by excessive noise from motor cars, motor cycles, and motor scooters.

Mr. Nugent

The existing regulations require that all motor vehicles be fitted with efficient silencers which must be maintained in good condition at all times. Enforcement of the law is a matter for the police. Our Department and the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research are at present studying the best means of measuring noise, including ambient noise, caused by motor vehicles. When this study is complete and suitable instruments are available to measure this noise, we shall be in a position to amend the regulations if this proves necessary.

Lady Gammans

While thanking the Parliamentary Secretary for that reply, may I ask whether he is aware that incessant noise has a very bad effect on people suffering from nervous disorders and mental disabilities and whether he will do all in his power as quickly as possible to abate as much noise as possible?

Mr. Nugent

Yes, Sir. We are well aware that the problem of noise on the roads is growing and we are making every effort to find a better means of controlling it.

Mr. Strauss

When the Minister is considering amending the present regulations will he consider whether anything can be done to prevent large numbers of young motorists from going up and down certain roads in order to amuse themselves and show off, much to the annoyance of everybody in the neighbourhood?

Mr. Nugent

That is probably largely a matter for the police. If the right hon. Gentleman will tell me of any instance I will be glad, and I will see that the information is passed on.

Sir J. Crowder

If members of the public send the registration numbers of these motor bicycles to the police, have the police power to inspect the machines at the homes of the owners and to test them for noise?

Mr. Nugent

I believe so, but that question could be more properly put to my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary.

Forward to