§ 5. Lieut.-Colonel Bromley-Davenport
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food whether, before bringing the new Ice Cream Regulations into force, he will consult with the 1409 various representative advertising organisations with a view to ascertaining whether, in their opinion, it will be practicable to allow a product made with non-milk fat to be described as ice cream but not to be advertised in any way that will suggest that the product has any relation to butter, cream or milk or anything connected with the dairy industry.
§ Mr. Godber
My right hon. Friend has invited the comments of the manufacturers of ice cream about the details to be contained in the proposed Regulations, which are designed to distinguish clearly between ices made entirely from dairy products and other ice cream.
§ Lieut.-Colonel Bromley-Davenport
Is my hon. Friend aware that the present draft Regulations may be quite unworkable in their present form and that the National Farmers' Union and the Milk Marketing Board are very disturbed about the position? Is he aware that unless these draft Regulations are amended the public will continue to be deceived about the composition of a large proportion of so-called ice cream?
§ Mr. Godber
I am not sure that I agree with my hon. and gallant Friend. There is another Question to be answered in relation to the organisations which have been consulted.
§ 6. Lieut.-Colonel Bromley-Davenport
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what organisations will be consulted by him about the amended Ice Cream Regulations; and by what date he anticipates reaching a decision as to the form in which he intends to lay these regulations before Parliament.
§ Mr. Godber
I will with permission circulate in the OFFICIAL REPORT a list of the organisations consulted. My right hon. Friend hopes to have their comments in time to lay Regulations in the autumn.
§ Following is the information:
§ LIST OF ORGANISATIONS TO WHICH PROPOSALS FOR AMENDING REGULATIONS WERE CIRCULATED
- Association of Municipal Corporations.
- The Association of Public Analysts.
- Association of Public Health Inspectors.
- British Dairy Farmers' Association.
- British Hotels and Restaurants Association.
- Caterers' Association of Great Britain.
- County Councils' Association.
- Ice Cream Alliance Limited.
- Ice Cream Powder Manufacturers Section of Food Manufacturers' Federation.
- Institute of Weights and Measures Administration.
- Joint Committee of Breed Society Representatives.
- Metropolitan Boroughs' Standing Joint Committee.
- Milk Bars Association of Great Britain and Ireland Limited.
- Milk Marketing Board.
- National Association of Creamery Proprietors and Wholesale Dairymen Inc.
- National Caterers Federation.
- National Cattle Breeders' Association.
- National Dairymen's Association.
- National Farmers' Union.
- National Union of Retail Confectioners.
- Parliamentary Committee of the Co-operative Union.
- Quality Milk Producers Limited.
- Rural District Councils' Association.
- United Synagogue.
- Urban District Councils' Association.
- Wholesale Ice Cream Federation Limited.
- The British Diabetic Association.
- Association of Manufacturers of Shortening and Compound Cooking Fat.
- Margarine Manufacturers' Association.
- British Saccharin Sales Company Limited.
- British Standards Institution.