HC Deb 10 February 1958 vol 582 c32
57. Mr. Blenkinsop

asked the Minister of Health what financial assistance he will offer local authorities to help them increase their provision for the welfare and care of mentally sick and defective persons on their discharge from hospitals and institutions.

Mr. Walker-Smith

I would refer the hon. Member to my hon. Friend the Member for Croydon, South's (Mr. R. Thompson), reply to his Question of the 9th December.

Mr. Blenkinsop

While we all welcome the Minister's administrative decision to review cases in mental deficiency institutions, does he not recognise that we are also very concerned about the possibility of providing alternative accommodation when those cases come back to their own towns and their own homes? Would he not do something to make it more possible for local authorities to increase their accommodation and provision for the welfare and care of these cases?

Mr. Walker-Smith

I appreciate the hon. Gentleman's concern in this matter, but the question is one that requires consideration in the context of our present economic circumstances. With reference to the expressed recommendation of the Royal Commission, that would, of course, require legislation, which has to be considered in the general context of legislation arising out of the Commission's Report.

Forward to