HC Deb 25 June 1957 vol 572 cc20-1
32. Mr. Blenkinsop

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government what arrangements have been made for the distribution to tenants of forms prescribed under the Rent Act to assist them in making their statements of disrepair to landlords and local authorities.

Mr. H. Brooke

Tenants as well as landlords should themselves obtain any forms they need for purposes of the Rent Act. The questions and answers booklet entitled "The Rent Act and You", published by H.M.S.O., contains a list of the prescribed forms and also states that they can be bought at the principal booksellers and stationers. In addition I have asked local authorities, by circular, to compile a list of places in their areas where the forms can be bought.

Mr. Blenkinsop

Did not the right hon. Gentleman promise the House that forms and other assistance would be made available to tenants? Why does not he make the forms available in gross, as it were, to local authorities for distribution free to tenants, because it is the right hon. Gentleman who is forcing tenants to take this action?

Mr. Brooke

The hon. Gentleman will find that we are following precedent. A great deal of trouble has been taken to make the forms as simple as possible. I believe that is the direction in which we can help most.

Mr. J. Hynd

As legislation already provides that information about the procedure for obtaining certificates of disrepair should be included in all rent books, is the Minister taking steps to include in rent books the modifications to the Regulations under the new legislation?

Mr. Brooke

I do not know whether the right hon. Gentleman has studied the new Regulations. I think that is the first thing to do.

Back to
Forward to