§ 30 and 31. Mr. Fernyhough
asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer (1) the number of people working for wages in 1938 and 1955, respectively; and what percentage they took of the national income; and
(2) the number of people working for wages and salaries in 1938 and 1955, respectively; and what percentage they took of the national income.
§ The Financial Secretary to the Treasury (Mr. Henry Brooke)
Information on the numbers of wage-earners and salary-earners is, I regret, not available for either 1938 or 1955, and separate figures of wages and salaries are not yet available for 1955. In 1938, wages took 37 per cent. of the gross national product and salaries 18 per cent., totalling 55 per cent. In 1954, wages took 39 per cent and salaries 20 per cent., totalling 59 per cent. In 1955, wages and salaries together took 60 per cent.
§ Mr. Fernyhough
In view of the considerable increase in the numbers of wage-earners and salary-earners between 1938 and 1955, would not the right hon. Gentleman agree that the share which they are taking of the national cake is not the share to which the Government should direct their attention, but that their attention should be directed to the 40 per cent. which has been taken by the non-earners?