§ 23. Mr. Swingler
asked the Secretary of State for the Colonies if he will publish in the OFFICIAL REPORT a list of the books and journals which are on the prohibited list in Northern Rhodesia.
§ Mr. Swingler
Will the Secretary of State give an assurance that he will personally examine this list and inquire whether there is any appeal against this arbitrary censorship which exists in the Colonial Territories in Africa, and into the system whereby those who publish these publications that are put on the prohibited list are notified that their publications have been prohibited?
§ Mr. Lennox-Boyd
I will look into the latter point. In regard to the former, I have examined this list and I am satisfied that it is a matter entirely within the discretion of the Governor who, knowing all the local circumstances, is in the best position to decide which publications to prohibit.
§ Following is the list:
- World Recovery.
- The Kingdom.
- Who shall rule the World.
- The Final War.
- His Vengeance.
- World Distress, Why? The Remedy.
- Home and Happiness.
- The End of the World.
- Vindication, Volumes I and II.
- The Crisis.
- Pa Masinthiro.
- Vindication—Book III.
- Who is God?
- What is Truth?
- Keys of Heaven.
- Government Hiding the Truth, Why?
- Assured Prosperity.
- War or Peace.
- What You Need.
- Dividing the People.
- The Return of Christ.
- Righteous Ruler.
- Escape to the Kingdom.
- Beyond the Grave.
- 1933 Year Book of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- 1934 Year Book of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- 1935 Year Book of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- 1936 Year Book of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- The Golden Age Magazine.
- The Watch Tower Magazine (issues published prior to 1st August, 1949).
- Mbendera Ya Anthu.
- The Harp of God.
- Riches. (By J. F. Rutherford and published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society.)
- Fascism or Freedom. Religion.
- Crimes and Calamaties.
- Face the Facts.
- Safety Comfort.
- Health and Life.
- Where are the Dead?
- The Kingdom is at Hand.
- The Truth shall make you free.
- Let God be true.
- Universal War near Reconciliation.
- (Published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society.)
- Jungle Comics.
- (Published by the Glen-Kel Publishing Co., Inc., New York.)
- Jumbo Comics.
- (Published by the Real Adventures Publishing Co., Inc., New York.)
- The Black Terror.
- (Published by the Nedor Publishing Co., New York.)
- Fight Comics.
- (Published by Fight Stories Inc., New York.)
- The catalogue of Navjivan Pharmaceutical Works, Ltd., for a Pan-African Trade Union Conference.
- (Published by the secretariat of an organisation styled the World Federation of Trade Unions.)
- New Times.
- (A journal published by the newspaper "Trud" of Moscow.)
- The catalogue of the Indo-British Stores, 3B, Wellesley Street, Calcutta.
- Health and Power.
- (A journal published by All India Occult House, 3B, Wellesley Street, Calcutta.)
- African Newsletter and reprints therefrom.
- (Published by the Communist Party of Great Britain.)
- And any translation into any language whatsoever of any of the above-mentioned books.
- All publications issued by the Indo-African Literary Society of Mombasa;
- All publications issued by S. T. Shah on behalf of the Kutub Publishers, Ltd., Bombay;
- All literature published by or on behalf of the World Federation of Trade Unions;
- All literature published by or on behalf of the Women's International Democratic Federation;
§ The following works by Sri Aurobindo:
- (a) "Sri Aurobindo and his Ashram,"published by Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondi-cherry.
- (b) "Sri Aurobindo Speeches."
- (c) "The Doctrine of Passive Resistance," published by T. Patro, of the Arya Publishing House, Calcutta;
§ All issues of "Spotlight on Africa," published by the Council of African Affairs in New York;
§ "The Mask is Off" by Jack Woddis, published by Thames Publications in England;
§ All issues of the periodical publications known as "The African and Colonial World" and "The African and Colonial World and the Indian," published by the Independent Publishing Co. of London.