§ 41. Major Anstruther-Gray
asked the Minister of Labour the dates during which the call-up of agricultural workers for the Forces will be suspended in order to help with the harvest.
§ Sir W. Monckton
After consultation with my right hon. Friends, the Secretary of State for Scotland and the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, I have arranged for the call-up of agricultural workers to be suspended for a period of fourteen weeks during this year's harvest time. The dates will vary according to the needs of different areas and I will circulate a table in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
The suspension will not, however, operate in the few cases where there are 496 special reasons why call-up should no longer be delayed.
§ Following is the table:Area and Period
- Wales-11th July to 15th October.
- Southern Region—25th July to 29th October.
- London and South Eastern and South Western Regions—1St August to 5th November.
- Northern and North Western Regions—8th August to 12th November.
- Scotland, Midland, North Midland and East and West Ridings Regions—15th August to 19th November.
- Eastern Region—22nd August to 26th November.