HC Deb 07 February 1955 vol 536 c1589
That, for the purpose of any Act of the present Session to extend the period for which schemes may continue in force under section one of the Colonial Development and Welfare Act, 1940, to increase the amounts payable out of moneys provided by Parliament for the purposes of such schemes, and to include the New Hebrides among the territories for which such schemes may be made, it is expedient to authorise—
A. The payment out of moneys so provided of any increase in the sums payable out of such moneys which is attributable to provisions of the said Act of the present Session—
- (1) extending to the thirty-first day of March, nineteen hundred and sixty, the time during which such schemes, other than schemes for promoting research or inquiry, may continue in force;
- (2) substituting for the limits imposed by the said Act of 1940 (as amended by subsequent enactments) on the sums to be paid out of moneys so provided for the purposes of such schemes, including schemes for promoting research or inquiry, the following limits, namely:—
- (a) in respect of all such schemes, an aggregate limit of two hundred and twenty million pounds, excluding sums paid as aforesaid before the first day of April, nineteen hundred and forty six, and excluding sums required by the Secretary of State in the period ending on the first day of October, nineteen hundred and fifty-seven, for making payments pursuant to any such scheme as is described in section two of the Overseas Resources Development Act, 1954;
- (b) in respect of all such schemes, a limit of thirty million pounds in any financial year, excluding sums required by the Secretary of State as aforesaid; and
- (c) in respect of schemes for promoting research or inquiry, a limit of three million pounds in any financial year;
- (3) applying section one of the said Act of 1940 in relation to the New Hebrides as it applies in relation to a colony.
B. The payment into the Exchequer of any increase attributable to the said Act in the sums required to be so paid under subsection (3) of the said section one.