HC Deb 09 December 1954 vol 535 cc1093-4
14. Sir J. Crowder

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what training is given to members of school-crossing patrols in the Metropolitan Police area to ensure that they are able to carry out their duties satisfactorily.

Major Lloyd-George

Training is given to school-crossing patrols by experienced police officers in accordance with standing instructions issued by the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis.

Sir J. Crowder

Is my right hon. and gallant Friend aware that these patrols very often do not give sufficient notice to drivers of vehicles, especially when the roads are wet, so that it is dangerous for the drivers to put on their brakes to try to stop? Secondly, who is responsible for training these patrols outside the Metropolitan area; and can my right hon. and gallant Friend say whether these patrols are empowered to stop traffic for adults who are not in charge of children?

Major Lloyd-George

In regard to the first question, the training is by experienced police officers, and includes instruction as to stopping distances, particularly on wet days. All that is laid down in the instructions. With regard to the second question about the training outside the Metropolitan area, that is a matter for the local authority, but I believe that many of them use police instructors. In reply to the third question, I have not got the Act before me, but I fancy that it is only when the crossing is used by school-children, though I am not sure about that.