HC Deb 30 November 1953 vol 521 cc767-8
56. Mr. Isaacs

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he is aware that the practice of returning members of the Metropolitan Police to uniform duty after several years as aids to the Criminal Investigation Department, has led to discontent and loss of men from the police force, since men so transferred after working irregular hours without overtime payment, on their return to uniform duty, find that other men with less police service have been promoted whilst they return to their old status with no advantage of their special services and qualifications as aids; and what steps he will take to remedy this position.

The Joint Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (Sir Hugh Lucas-Tooth)

Officers who serve as aids to the Criminal Investigation Department in the Metropolitan police force are eligible for overtime payments and are considered for promotion along with other qualified officers. Most of those who return to uniform duty do so after being employed as aids for less than a year, and such employment in no way prejudices their chances of promotion.

My right hon. and learned Friend has no reason for supposing that the recent change, to which he referred in his reply to a Question by the right hon. Member on 19th November, has caused general dissatisfaction or loss of men.

Mr. Isaacs

Is the hon. Gentleman aware that I can quote an instance of a man who had served for four years, who had had 10 commendations, who, with others, had worked unreasonably long hours without overtime pay, and who had been told that he could have time off under a system known in the trade unions as" flexible hours"? I know of another case where a man who had served several years was sent back to the uniform branch. The result is that rather than go back and lose their chances of promotion and any advantages they have gained as aids, men leave the force and take employment in the police force of another Commonwealth country.

Sir H. Lucas-Tooth

The information which the right hon. Gentleman appears to have differs from that available to me. If he would be good enough to supply me with the information which he has, I will undertake to have it examined.