HC Deb 12 May 1953 vol 515 c1050
40. Mr. Isaacs

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government what power his regulations give a local authority that has served notice on an owner of property to carry out repairs necessary to be done to bring houses under his control into a sanitary condition and made fit for human habitation, to ensure that, in the interest of public health, the necessary work is executed in compliance with the legal notice; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. H. Macmillan

Local authorities have power to require repairs under Section 9 of the Housing Act, 1936, and under Section 93 of the Public Health Act, 1936, both of which authorise them, if necessary, to carry out the work themselves and to recover the cost from the owner or the person responsible.

Mr. Isaacs

May I ask the right hon. Gentleman how this will apply in the case of an owner of property in many parts of London who may shortly become a guest in one of Her Majesty's institutions? What can the council do if this man is not in a position to give orders about repairs by which hundreds of houses could be put into good repair?

Mr. Macmillan

They have other powers to deal with that question. They can take over property in certain cases. I have tried to give an answer on the particular point raised by the right hon. Gentleman, but there are other powers which may be used in other circumstances.

Back to