HC Deb 12 March 1953 vol 512 cc1497-8
39. Mrs. White

asked the Minister of Health what form of certificate, in lieu of an ordinary birth certificate, is issued to a foundling, or other person, the date of whose birth cannot be precisely determined.

Mr. Iain Macleod

None. The certificate must agree with the particulars registered and, if the birth was registered as having occurred on or about a certain date, that information appears in the certificate.

Mrs. White

Would the Minister explain the position of a person, the date of whose birth cannot be precisely determined but who nevertheless has to produce evidence of age when, for example, claiming an old age pension, and who, if there is no certificate of any kind available, has to enter into a long and what could be a very embarrassing personal explanation?

Mr. Macleod

I should be happy to look at any individual case, but as I understand it, the position since 1947 has been that an ordinary form of certificate is issued in these cases and the date of birth—shall we say 10th June—is preceded by the words, "on or about," which should satisfy all normal requirements.

Forward to