HC Deb 15 December 1953 vol 522 cc197-8
52. Mr. J. J. Astor

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government whether he will announce his decision as to the use of the proposed site at Hessary Tor for a television station for the Plymouth area before the Christmas Recess.

Mr. H. Macmillan

I cannot promise this; but I am doing my best to reach a decision quickly. It will be appreciated that the issues in this case are difficult.

Mr. Astor

Is the Minister aware that unless a decision is reached soon, it is possible that some parts of England may have the benefit of sponsored television before the West Country has B.B.C. coverage at all?

Mr. Macmillan

Yes, Sir, but as I think my hon. Friend knows, quite strong feelings are raised by this proposal on one side or the other, and I could not reach a decision without very careful thought.