HC Deb 10 December 1953 vol 521 cc2153-4
17. Mr. G. Jeger

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what arrangements he will make for the re-housing of police officers who have to vacate their official residence on retirement from the force.

Sir D. Maxwell Fyfe

A police officer has no title to continue to occupy after his retirement accommodation provided by the police authority. The responsibility for obtaining other accommodation is primarily that of the officer himself and, in so far as he has difficulty in finding a suitable house, his case would fall to be considered by the appropriate housing authority.

Mr. Jeger

Is the Home Secretary aware of the difficulty experienced by police officers who are on the verge of retirement after many years of service? Is he aware that when they apply to the local housing authorities for a council house, because at that time they are living in very good accommodation provided by the local police authorities, they are put very low on the housing list and, to the very moment of their leaving the force, are in doubt about getting proper housing accommodation?

Sir D. Maxwell Fyfe

That is an important point. Perhaps the hon. Member will recall that paragraph 300 of the Oaksey Committee Report deals with it and urges what I think is the gist of the matter—that men about to retire should have their claims considered in good time. A circular has been sent to local authorities on that point, and I will have the position re-examined in view of what the hon. Member has said.