HC Deb 26 May 1952 vol 501 cc930-1
11. Captain Ryder

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs what international authority is now responsible for the welfare of the hard core of displaced persons now remaining; and if he will consider what action can be taken to assist these unfortunate persons.

Mr. Selwyn Lloyd

The interests of these unfortunate people are protected by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. The support of those who are indigent has become the responsibility of the countries where they now reside, whether in Europe or overseas.

The High Commissioner has been authorised by the United Nations General Assembly to appeal for funds for emergency relief, in addition to the money left behind by the International Refugee Organisation for this purpose. The High Commissioner's appeal has only just been received and Her Majesty's Government have not yet decided what action can be taken.

Captain Ryder

Is there any system of international inspection at these displaced persons camps and, if so, is it available for hon. Members to see it?

Mr. Lloyd

I should like to have notice of that question.

Mr. Noel-Baker

Do we understand that the High Commissioner is appealing to Governments, or is it to private charitable organisations?

Mr. Lloyd

That is not quite clear yet. I think he hopes to appeal to both.

Mr. Noel-Baker

Will the Government consider making a contribution, since the work of the High Commissioner must be very largely hampered unless he has adequate funds at his disposal?

Mr. Lloyd

I can assure the right hon. Gentleman that Her Majesty's Government are considering this question very carefully and that they have complete sympathy for this work.