HC Deb 09 May 1951 vol 487 c1946
32. Mr. Wood

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs what provision is made for the payment of paternity allow ances in respect of the illegitimate children of German women and British soldiers.

Mr. H. Morrison

A British soldier in Germany may draw part of his pay in Deutschemarks for the purpose of contributing to the maintenance of a child there. After his return to this country, it is also possible for him to remit money to Ger-many for this purpose.

Mr. Wood

Is the right hon. Gentleman aware of considerable hardship in a number of these cases. Would he again consider the question of a compulsory obligation in respect of these children?

Mr. Morrison

I appreciate the hon. Gentleman's point, but it cannot be done under existing legal provisions. It would require legislation and I am not sure that that would be easy.

Mr. Peter Freeman

Would it not be more correct to describe these children as the natural children of illegitimate parents?

Mr. Morrison

That is a question that can be put down.

Mr. Ian Winterbottom

Will my right hon. Friend reconsider this position when we come to the point of substituting a defence agreement for the Occupation Statute? It is something which is causing considerable feeling there.